Monday, June 6, 2022

1957 Topps Hank Aaron and the complete Topps Base Hank Aaron Run

In my last post about my Hank Aaron collection, I mentioned that I had recently won an eBay auction for two of the remaining cards I needed to complete my Topps playing days Hank Aaron card run.

One of those cards was his 1957 Topps card. Far from perfect, especially when it comes to centering, I am still extremely happy to add this card to my collection. I have seen a lot of these cards that are off centered left to right, with the extra being on the right side, which leads me to believe this card was probably on the edge of a sheet.


It has a nice crease across the bottom right corner and speaking of corners, they are a bit worn as well. Looking at the back of the card, it almost appears to be hand cut, but I don't think it actually is.


I got this as part of a two card lot on eBay. I only need a few Hank Aaron cards from his playing days and I happened to need both of the cards, so getting them both was awesome.

With this card, I completed the base run of his Topps cards from his playing days (1954 - 1976).


I would like to get magnetics for all of these, especially now that Ultra-Pro makes magnetics for the 1952-1956 cards, but for now here is my Topps Hank Aaron base card run. 

I still remember buying the 1976 Topps base and Record Breaker card at an old card shop that isn't around anymore, with birthday money. They were the first "vintage" cards I ever bought.

I still remember the day I found the rookie card at my LCS. I don't remember what it was priced at, but I asked what the best he could do was and I think it was $225, which was the most I had ever paid for a single card at the time, but I happily agreed and went to a bank to get some cash before they closed. 

I will remember all the DoorDash I did to put aside some money so that I could get the 1955 just a couple of months ago at a big card show that I went to with a friend of mine. First time going to a card show with a friend in decades. I paid more for the 1955 than I did for the 1954.

This was a fun journey. It took me about 30 years from start to finish. I have done this with a few players now, Reggie Jackson was the first and then Nolan Ryan I finished up last year, but this was the one that took me the longest and was also the most fun! 

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations, I still need a bunch of those Aarons'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you already have some, set aside $5 a month and then grab one or two a year (well, maybe except for the rookie) and you'll be there in no time. It took me 30 years!

      Delete
    2. Not sure why on my Apple laptop it won't log me in for comments, but this is Daniel the owner of this blog.If I go on my desktop it will work though. Super weird!

      Delete
  2. Awesome run there. Congrats, Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! They all look fantastic together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super awesome, that's a great bunch of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool. This is one of those collections I don't even dream about, because I know I'll never be able to dish out the cash for his rookie. But I do hope to one day own his 1960 Topps and maybe his 1965 Topps card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an impressive collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete