Sunday, October 4, 2020

Crazy Card Projects

This David Ortiz card hitched a ride in a package full of Barry Bonds cards from Kevin, of the blog The Diamond King. This was just one in 60+ cards and I looked through the stack once or twice before I noticed the Red Sox logo and then looked closer to see that it was a card of David Ortiz rather than Barry Bonds. The logo on the helmet is small and hard to see and you only get a glimpse of the team name across the chest. The player name shows up well on this photo, but in person, depending on the lighting, it's not all that prevalent. Like I said, it wasn't the player image that tipped me off, it was the Red Sox logo on the card, which isn't very big, so it was an easy mistake to make. 

Ortiz is a 500 Home Run Club member, so maybe after I finish my pursuit of 762 Bonds cards I'll attempt to assemble 503 David Ortiz cards. Can you imagine a project like that? 1 card for each home run hit by every member of the 500 Home Run Club. Now that would be crazy?

What crazy card projects are you working on? I know there are some great ones out there. I'm not talking about completing a set or anything like that. I'm talking crazy, like crazy hard or crazy cool. Let me know in the comments below what you have done or are doing that you would consider a crazy card project.

I'm working on 762 Barry Bonds cards. I have toyed with the idea of collecting a card for every one of Nolan Ryan/s 5,714 strikeout victims. What other crazy card projects are out there?


Okay, back to the package of Barry Bonds cards that puts me at 335 unique Barry Bonds cards. Nearly half way to 762.


Let's start with Bonds as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates.



Next up are his cards in a San Fransisco Giants uniform. 


The 1994 Fleer Lumber Company card below is one of my favorites and not only do I need it for my Bonds collection, but I'm also going after that insert set as well, just because I like it so much. The Big League Challenge card is really cool as well as it contains a piece of the home plate that was used at that event.


I've got a feeling that by the time I'm done, these Home Run History cards will make up a significant portion of the 762 cards.



5 comments:

  1. Wow. Your project is coming along nicely. I know a significant portion of my Bonds binder is made up of those Topps HR cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having completed the 2006 portion of the Bonds HR history cards, I'm wondering why I did it. You may or may not get all of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the 2006 HR History set, but really wish there were more images used for the set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Ortiz? Don't know how that happened. Definitely do the Ryan Express project! That's be so awesome.

    ReplyDelete