Wednesday, January 5, 2022

1968 Topps Hank Aaron

A couple of days ago I mentioned I got a new playing era Hank Aaron card in the mail. I picked up this 1968 Topps card via eBay just before the New Year, but it arrived on January 3rd, so I am counting it as an incoming card for 2022.


It’s not in great shape, but it’s not too bad. No major issues. After tax and shipping I was able to add this to my Topps Hank Aaron collection for just under $50. Aaron’s cards have gone up over the last year or so since his passing, so I’m happy with the price.

Going into his 15th season Aaron had already hit 481 home runs, which means he still had 274 homers in him. Crazy numbers!

Very happy to add a base card to my Topps Hank Aaron project. Seems like it’s been a while. I did pick up a 1955 Bowman last year, but other than that I think the only Aaron cards I added were League Leader or other subset cards.

I need to do another post highlighting all of the various playing days cards I currently have and which ones I need. I didn’t include this project as part of my 2022 goals, but I definitely want to make progress on this during 2022.

The 1968 Topps set is growing on me. It’s a very plain design, but I think it works. Plus it’s got some pretty amazing rookie card power. 

What are your thoughts on the 1968 set? Love it, hate it or just meh?

14 comments:

  1. I've never liked it, but I probably like it more now than I ever have. Not that I'll ever try to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not a favorite of mine and I don't see myself ever trying to complete the set; although I do have the two biggest cards already, so you never know.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't turn that down for $50. I'm not into '68 (at least not yet). Maybe someday I'll tackle it but there's just too many other cool vintage cards to collect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. So many great looking vintage cards to go after before the 1968 set.

      Delete
  3. Always thought 68 was a little meh. But Not that Aaron! Great buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aaron is a nice looking photo, especially compared to many of the other 1968 Topps photos.

      Delete
  4. I'm okay with the 68' set. I'm right at 100 cards away from completing the set build. What drives me nuts about the 68's is the Milton Bradley cards. So close in color (the backs) it is hard to tell sometimes so I just don't bother keeping them apart. Congrats on the Hammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice! Completing any pre-1980 set is pretty impressive. I'll have to see if I happen to have any of the Milton Bradley cards.

      Delete
  5. The 1968 design is okay. Not great. Not bad. But that Aaron looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree. Good, but not great. The Aaron photo is a lot better than many of the other photos used in the set.

      Delete
  6. Not great shape? That card looks totally fine for me. Congrats! I like the '68 set design just fine, wish the photos were better though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's in decent shape. I agree with you. The photos are the main issue for most of the cards.

      Delete
  7. I've always liked the look of 68's. I even like the border variations. It's hard to believe that this card has gone up that much in such a short time. I can remember passing on a couple of $10 off-condition copies at shows just a few short years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's growing on me. Yeah, his prices have gone up significantly recently between the pandemic and his passing.

      Delete