Tuesday, July 12, 2022

1990 Leaf

I went to a card show this past Saturday. It was a bit of a dud, but I did have a unique experience that I will share in a later post. After the card show I went to The Batter's Box card shop and looked around for a while before I found anything. I was about to check out when one of the dealer that has a case there came in. He always has hand collated sets and a few other cards priced affordably, so I decided to wait to see what he added to his case.

I went over and struck up a conversation with him while he added items to his case. He put in a box with a 1990 Leaf set for $24.99. I recently picked up the Frank Thomas rookie card and posted about it here, but I've always wanted the entire set. It was the first modern Leaf baseball card set and was a premium set at that. I liken it to 1989 Upper Deck and 1991 Stadium Club.

$24.99 for the set. Hmmm. He ran out of space and couldn't put everything in his case, but I asked to see what else he had. He pulled out another box labeled 1990 Leaf with a $9.99 price tag. 


He told me the reason it was only $9.99 is because the Frank Thomas was damaged and it didn't have the complete puzzle. I already have the Thomas and I already have the puzzle, so I bought this one.

I already put it in sheets. Turns out is was actually missing one card; a common, #208 - Johnny Ray. I'll have to see if I happen to already have it. If someone out there has this handy and would like to trade, let me know.

The Frank Thomas is damaged. It has an indent, but it still works for me in the binder. The Sammy Sosa, Larry Walker and Ken Griffey Jr. are in good shape. I'm very happy to add this set to my collection for $10!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! Good timing on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally worth it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm the sort who wouldn't have even looked twice at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! I just got one of those sets too! And paid twice as much as the one you turned down! (Looked it up and it seemed reasonable. And dangit, I forgot to include it in my post of that shop visit!)

    ReplyDelete