Friday, July 15, 2022

Offer Up Trade: Collect-A-Books

I have made a couple of trades with a gentleman I met through Offer Up. I sold him my 1980-81 Topps Basketball duplicates yesterday and today we met up to do a trade. My basketball and football for his baseball. For me it was the basketball and football cards I've found since we last traded. There was a nice stack of relic cards with stars and hall of famers and a bunch of rookies of players like Anfernee Hardaway, Tim Duncan, Bo Jackson, Antoine Walker, etc. Some nice stuff, but nothing huge. Some older basketball cards, a printing plate of Matt Bonner, and a few random boxed sets. Stuff like that. Maybe about 800 cards total. 

Here is what I got in return. Two shoeboxes full of randomness. I love the randomness. I love going through it and seeing a small stack of Albert Pujols cards and then finding some 1990 Donruss Rated Rookie card. Some 1991 Pacific Nolan Ryan cards, that I already have two complete sets of. Sure, why not. 2020-22 Panini Prizm parallels. Okay. An acrylic case filled with early to mid 90's Fleer Ultra inserts. Sweet! 50 or so Topps Chrome refractors from various years. Absolutely! A completely trashed 1975 Topps Gary Carter rookie card. Awesome!


What you don't see in here because I already took it out is a package of 1991 Line Drive Collect-A-Books "cards". It was lying on top, because I actually pulled it from another boxed and added it to the trade. Good thing I did. I needed 5 of the "cards" from the box.


The rest a dups and will be added to the prize package for my ongoing contest. 


In addition to the box of 1991, there were a few from 1990, but I already had these. Again, these will be added as part of the prize.


Here is what I still need for the 1990 and 1991 Baseball Collect-A-Books sets.

1990

9 - Robin Yount

1991 

3 - Nolan Ryan
5 - Bob Welch
13 -Jose Canseco
14 - Cecil Fielder
15 - Ryne Sandberg
20 - Mark Grace
28 - George Brett
30 - Matt Williams
31 - Barry Larkin
32 - Dave Stewart
33 - Dave Justice
34 - Harmon Killebrew

Feels like the Collect-A-Books were around for a lot more than just two years, but it's probably because they had them for multiple sports. Also, I don't think they sold all that well, or maybe there were just a gazillion of them because I feel like you could find them at discount stores for many years.

3 comments:

  1. Tim Duncan rookie cards aren't worth much? Seems like they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up a box of Collect a Books at a card shop today for $1.00. I have another box that should be coming from a guy that I follow his Instagram page. By the way, I also picked up a few cards for you at the card shop too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun. I wrote about these and the patent when Bouton died. https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2019/07/19/collect-a-books/ I've nevrr seen the 1991s though.

    ReplyDelete