Monday, August 31, 2020

$10 Challenge

I happened to see these two 1952 Bowman cards for sale at my LCS for $5 each. I couldn't break up the pair, so I bought them both. I mean, come on, I love the old Bowman cards and to see these two together is just fantastic!


Even better are the backs, which both mention the historic playoff series between the Giants and the Dodgers and the pennant-winning home run that Thompson hit off Branca in the bottom of the 9th of the deciding game 3.

 

So the challenge is to tell me a better $10 that you have spent on baseball cards.

4 comments:

  1. This is a tough challenge. Can't think of anything I've purchased recently for $10 or less that would compete with these two cards. After the Clippers took down the Mavs and Kawhi Leonard's name was on ESPN, I decided to look up a graded rookie card I purchased of him a year and a half ago (12/18) for $10.50 that's been selling in the $500 to $600 range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 bucks, huh? That's less than I paid for that '52 Branca for sure.

    I don't remember a deal for exactly $10, and people are probably sick of me telling this story, but six years ago I bought 3 stacks of abused vintage cards for $12 at a card show. In one of the stacks was a 1961 Maris, in rough condition, but, come, on it cost me 7 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome deal! Nothing like some vintage cardboard no matter who is on the card. My best $10 would be a Cal Ripken Jr Fleer rookie card for $5 and whatever else I spent the other $5 on at a card show.

    ReplyDelete