Friday, August 21, 2020

Cards that leave an impression - 1957 Topps Ted Kluszewski

I don't remember the first time I ever saw this card, but it was probably about 30 years ago. My guess is that I saw it in a Beckett magazine the first time. How about you? Do you remember the first time you saw this card?

The sleeveless uniforms the Cincinnati Redlegs star first baseman is sporting, aren't something that you see every day on a baseball card. The story goes that Big Klu had such big biceps that he had to cut the leaves off his jerseys and so when the Reds changes their name to the Redlegs in 1956 they made a uniform change as well and incorporated the sleeveless jerseys to accommodate their star first baseman.


I saw this card at my LCS for less than the coast of a blaster. The condition isn't great, but it's not horrible and the centering is good, so I pulled the trigger. When it comes to 1957 Topps, is there a better card to represent the set?

2 comments:

  1. I've definitely seen this card on blogs before. Not sure about the first time I laid eyes on a copy. Been going to card shows and worked at two card shops, so I'm guessing it was sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. As for the 1957 Topps question, I'd say that this card is as good as any. The Reds team set also had a Frank Robinson rookie card too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great card to represent the set. I'd also think of the Elmer Valo card and of course the Hank Aaron reverse negative.

    ReplyDelete