Friday, August 7, 2020

1971 or 1972?

I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and so I ventured out this past weekend to a couple of card shops and and picked up a bunch of vintage cards.

I grabbed an off centered 1971 Topps Reggie Jackson and a fairly decent 1972 Topps Reggie Jackson in an effort to complete a run of base Topps Reggie Jackson cards.




The prices you see are the prices I paid. I feel like it was a fair price, plus I'm close to completing the run. This gives me 1969 - 1979 and 1981 - 1987. I just need the 1980 Topps card, although my 1986 card is part of the set, so I would like to pick up an additional one for the Reggie collection.

Once I get the 1980 card I'll do a post on the 1969 - 1987 run of cards. Part of me wishes that his rookie card was the final card I needed, but another part of me is glad that it's a card that will cost me just a few dollars.

I like both cards, but the 1971 is far superior to the 1972 in my opinion. The black borders and the photo of a clean cut Jackson kneeling, holding multiple bats over his shoulder, blow the 72 card out of the water. How about you, which one do you like best?

3 comments:

  1. I like the 1971 card for the reasons you listed. The facial hair on the '72 card also seems to have aged Reggie a good five years at least in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 71 photograph better... but when it comes to card designs the 72 is a classic and one of my personal faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the '72 one better because that's the Reggie I know.

    I need to get the '70 Reggie as I'm currently trying to complete that set. The only one left after that is his rookie card, and I have no urge to spend the cash for that yet.

    ReplyDelete