Thursday, August 20, 2020

Hobby Rabbit Holes

 If you are like me you've probably been down a hobby rabbit hole a time or two. One thing leads to another and all of a sudden you are are buying a 300 count lot on eBay of something you weren't interested in 5 minutes earlier.

I want to reduce my collection. I promise I do. The other day I was thinking about how to do that and I thought I would start with cards of members of the 500 Home Run Club. About 4 years ago I spent several months sorting out a significant portion of my collection by player alphabetically. I figured I'd start at the top and so I grabbed the stack of Barry Bonds cards I have and started counting. 272.

My original thought was to do 100 cards per 500 Home Run Club member. Then I thought 99 would be better since that would be 11 sheets of 9. Then I came across about 40 of the 2005 Topps Barry Bonds Home Run History cards and I thought that would be a cool project. About 5 minutes on eBay told me that it would be pricey and be fairly difficult to acquire the 762 cards. Plus then I would have those 762 cards, plus another 272 Barry Bonds cards and I am trying to downsize.

So then I thought I could just add to the 272 cards I already have and get to 762 unique Barry Bonds cards.  762 is of course the number of home runs that he hit. I posted on Twitter and was given the idea of putting together a collection of 762 cards featuring each pitcher that he hit a home run off of. That's a pretty cool idea. I had thought about something similar before. My idea was to have one card for each of Nolan Ryan's strikeouts, but then I realized how much money I would need to spend in sheets just to hold the 5000+ cards.

Okay, back to Barry Bonds. I spent another 20 minutes or so on eBay looking at large lots. There is a lot of 2200+ Barry Bonds cards for around $180 shipped. The listing doesn't have many details and the pictures didn't either so I messaged the seller asking him how many unique cards there were. His response was "No idea sorry thanks". I won't be pursuing that any further. My guess is there are maybe only a couple hundred different cards in the lot.

I did find a few other decent lots of 100 - 200 different Bonds cards, but who knows how many of them I already have, plus I'm on a budget, so I'm not really looking to spend several hundred dollars on this project. Maybe I'll just make it a long term project and pick up cards from dime boxes until I get to 762. Maybe I'll just pair down the 272 to 99 and call it a day. What do you think I should do?



3 comments:

  1. i'm the last one who should be giving advice on how to pare down a collection! i like the idea of the ryan strikeout collection and the 762 bonds cards, but would probably go the route of 99 cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lucked out on some eBay lots and found some really cool parallels... but have struck out and got 30 of the same card too. Not sure what you should do... but best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 762 idea, but it would probably be a bit of a slog to get there. I have a decent number of Bonds cards I am not planning on keeping if you decide to go that way.

    ReplyDelete