Wednesday, November 11, 2020

All I need is a HR for the Cycle

I went to a card shop on Saturday and they had recently completed a big purchase and were putting things out in their showcases. Complete Topps sets from 1965 - 1980, a 1954 Bowman complete set (with the Ted Williams), and every Mickey Mantle card from 1953 - 1969.

The Mantle cards were flying off the shelf. I saw one guy hand over $1500 in cash for a handful. The base Topps and Bowman cards are out of my budget, but I was happy to pick up this 1968 Topps Game card. 


$15.95 is more in my price range, although I wish I had picked up a set a few years ago because I know Fuji only spent about $40 on a complete set, but looking at recent completed sales, it looks like prices have doubled since then.

My solution is to just complete the cycle. 


I had gotten this Roberto Clemente Double card recently at the same card shop as part of a four card lot in one of their auctions.


With the cycle in mind I also picked up this Frank Robinson Triple Game card from the card shop.


Now I just need a Home Run card, which means Willie Mays. They had a Mays, but it was priced a little higher than I wanted to pay, so I will ave to look elsewhere to complete the cycle.

2 comments:

  1. Considering what people are paying for some Topps base rookie cards... these 1968 inserts are hidden treasures and so under-appreciated in my book. Looks like they have a few copies of Mays for under $10 on COMC, but you'll have to wait 4+ months to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! Would have loved to have seen what they wanted for some of those early sets.

    Dang, I have your Leiter from your top list, but it's a complete set.

    ReplyDelete