Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Player Collecting on a Budget

I always check out dime boxes and other bargain bins looking for players that I collect. I have a lengthy list of players that I collect, but really only spend around 10 cents per card. Anything more, I will typically pass. Sometimes this means that I grab cards that I already have, but this latest grab proved very fruitful.

I have both of these Dwight Gooden rookie cards already, but I couldn't pass them up at just a dime each this past Saturday.


This one came from a 25/$1 box and I needed it, so that is an Award Winner, winner in my book.


These 4 Mattingly cards came from the same 25/$1 box. I ended up needing all 4. Another win!


These 4 Mother's Cookies Tim Salmon cards set me back a quarter. Not a quarter each, but 25 cents for the four card set. I needed all 4.


Here are a few additional Tim Salmon cards that I picked up. Prices vary a bit, but all were between 4 and 8.3 cents each. I only needed 2 out of these 6, so that was the worst I did.



I added 1 Barry Bonds card in my quest to 762. This is card number 393.


I even found a Reggie in the dime box that I didn't have.

At a dime or less, I almost ever say no to a Griffey or Piazza card even when I think I probably already have it, so while I ended up having the Piazza already, I needed all 3 of the Griffey from 1994 Upper Deck Fun Pack.


Like I said before, some days are better than others and today was a good day digging through dime boxes and discount bins for my various player collections.  

5 comments:

  1. Great pickups for the price. Gooden rookies at $.10 each are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a time when 10 cent Gooden rookies would have been unheard of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good boxes! I always pick up Gooden rcs, even at higher prices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the Gooden find. I always wonder how dealers could let cards like that slip into their dime boxes, but a few years ago I was talking to one of them and he told me he buys collections and doesn't have time to sift through every card in every box which made sense at the time. I think that's why I couldn't be a dealer. I'd be too worried I accidentally left Trout rookies or even these Gooden rookie card sitting in the boxes. I'd have to go through each and every card first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some really Good(en) value out of those dimes!

    ReplyDelete