Sunday, November 22, 2020

These put the "Odd" in Oddball

I came across a small lot of these 1992 Confex Baseball Enquirer cards in one of the collections I bought last year. I don't recall ever seeing these cards before. Like the title of the post says, these cards are truly odd. This is a 64 card set that doesn't feature any names (of the player or team) or any logos. 

The characteresk drawings are decent, but I find it really odd that they include a blank nameplate on the front of the card. Why include it since there are no names?


The backs include a question and answer interview between the unnamed player and The Baseball Enquirer designed to poke fun at the player.




Out of the 20 cards in this lot, there was one of a player that I collect. So this one will make it's way into my Dale Murphy collection. 



I'm not going to actively collect this set, but it is tempting considering I have a third of the set already: 20/64. 

Do any of you have this set? Have you ever seen it before? Is there a more oddballl set out there?

4 comments:

  1. I came across the Pete Rose card (#48) which was bundled in with some other Rose cards I waneeded for that PC. Strange indeed. They remind me of the CardToons set. Love oddball cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been sent a few of the A's in this set over the years. It'd be cool to bring that Canseco to a signing and see his reaction to seeing his card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidentally bought 4 packs on eBay, mislabelled as 1982... still unopened, considering returning. Bought one in a $1 box with my kid while they were in transit, she says you’re supposed to write in the name after you guess the player from the interview. Quirky cards, maybe I’ll open for my PC’s. I’ll send you a pack if you want one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the pictures. But no name or real team logo kind of goes against third floor policy.

    ReplyDelete