Sunday, November 1, 2020

The many shades of 1987 Topps

I don't spend enough time looking at my collection. Enjoying my collection. I firmly believe that if you want something to happen you should schedule it and so I'm actually going to schedule some time regularly to look at my collection.

This realization occurred as I looked through about 600 or so 1987 Topps cards. I thought I was familiar with the 1987 Topps cards, but I noticed something looking through this box that I hadn't realized before. The "wood grain" borders are all different shades. Take a look.


I'm obviously not an expert on 1987 Topps, but it looks like it just depends on the card, meaning there aren't variations of each card. For example, all eight of these That Bosley cards are all the same shade.


If I'm wrong and there are variations of each card, let me know, but I feel like I would have already heard about this "rainbow".

What else did I learn from looking through these cards?

When I think about baseball players having second jobs, I tend to think about players from the 1950's and earlier, but apparently Frank Williams was working in construction to supplement his income. If I had to guess, I would say that stopped in 1986 since his contract with the Giants was for $275,000. But he did have a child to provide for so many he was working two jobs.


I wonder how many jobs Bill Swift's father had?


I did a little research on contact lenses and they have been around a lot longer than I thought, but they must have been pretty novel in 1987 for this to make the back of Joe Orsulak's card.


Some people like Willie Nelson and some people like Eddie Murphy. What if you like both? 


Then you listen to Eddie Murphy singing a Willie Nelson song.


I'm sure there is more to be learned from 1987 Topps and all the other cards out there. I just need to schedule some time to do so.

4 comments:

  1. When I was younger it always bothered me that some 87 Topps cards were darker or lighter than others. I just blamed it on manufacturing and wondered why they couldn't get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Look at that nice gum stain....brings back so many memories. Such an iconic set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gum stain is glorious! Love the 87T set. I have noticed the different shades of wood, but never considered them variations. Don't think I'll start anytime soon. I'd rather focus on those gum stain variations :D

      Delete
  3. I'm sure somebody on ebay or facebook are selling these as variations.

    ReplyDelete