Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Best Dime Card Find Ever?

I've found some great cards in dime boxes over the years. I know I've posted about a few of them on my blog, but I've haven't done a great job keeping track.

This past Saturday I went to a couple of card shops. I bought a couple of boxes of Ultra Pro 9 pockets sheets and 95 cents worth of cards at one shop. 

This 2007 Allen & Ginter Bruce Lee card came out of a dime box.


I was happy to see this card in the dime box, but I didn't initially realize the value until later on. Take a look at these recent eBay comps. The last couple of sales have been in the $5 - $6 range, which is a significant increase over the 10 cents I paid, but if you go back a few days and weeks, the price increases
to between $17 - $20 range and then around $30 about a month ago. Those are for raw copies. Graded copies at the PSA 10 level are bringing in between $200 - $250, which is just crazy!


What is the best dime box card find you've ever had? It could be the best card value wise, but it also could be something that is just super rare, but maybe not that valuable. It also might just be a card that is sentimental to you.


12 comments:

  1. I found a 1971 Topps Bob Gibson in a dime box once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s such a great card! I remember seeing it for the first time and being like, wow! It was just so different from most of the cards you see of his from that era.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't even think to check on the price of that card. The hobby makes zero sense lately.

    Dime boxes are a very recent thing for me, only within the last 3-4 years or so. So best I can say is maybe an '81 Topps Bench or something like that. But I'll always boast about the '61 Maris I got for 7 cents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 cents for a 1961 Topps Roger Maris! I had to go to your blog to check out the story again. Awesome stuff and it looks like the Branson/Mercer card you just sent me may have come from one of those stacks as well!

      Delete
  3. I got two Francisco Lindor rookie cards out of a dime box one time. Like yourself, I am always trying to find a hidden gem in dime boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice! Even better when it is for a team you collect!

      Delete
  4. Very nice find, even if that card wasn't going for so much it's still awesome to get a card of one of the most prolific martial artists of all time. Most of my dime box "hits" were usually cards that went up in price later like some Vlad Guerrero Jr. prospect-era Bowman cards, but the only dime box result that actually had value at that moment was an Andrew McCutchen rookie card (though this was far after his early 2010's peak).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great cards then and now for the price, especially for those Vlad Jr cards. I just bought a McCuthcen rookie card a couple months ago, so while not as high as it once was, there is still value and collectability there.

      Delete
  5. I'd have to sift through my blog... but off the top of my head I picked up a Fergie Jenkins rookie card in a flea market dime box. One of my greatest finds ever was actually a nickle box find. I purchased a 2016 Bowman Chrome Purple Refractor Tatis for a nickel back in 2016 at a card show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! Both of those cards at a dime and nickel are just amazing! We should start a Dime Box Hall of Fame!

      Delete