Thursday, August 5, 2021

My need for some 1984 Donruss led to some other great cards!

I've mentioned in my last couple of posts about the 9 card sheets that I got at a card show a few weeks ago. 

The dealer posted a few pics of these on Facebook prior to the show and I spied some 1984 Donruss cards that I needed for my set. 1984 Donruss star cards can be pricey so I was looking forward to snagging some of the cards I needed for 11 cents (9 cards for $1). I wish I had been able to grab more, but somebody got there before I did and I think they got some of the other sheets with the Donruss cards. Oh well. As I mentioned I paired these with the 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan and essentially I didn't even pay anything for them. 

If you see a missing spot it's because I already pulled the 1984 Donruss card. In addition to needing the 1984 Donruss card for my set, I collect Jackson so this was a no brainer. I just need to go through my Reggie Jackson binder and see if I actually need any of these other cards.


This one doesn't have a 1984 Donruss card on it, so I'm trying to figure out why I added it to the stack. Winfield is a great player though and there are some nice cards here, so I'm not complaining.


If I saw 1984 Donruss I set the page aside. Turns out I already had the Carlton 84 Donruss card.


Like I said, 1984 Donruss, set it aside. Not only did I already have the 84 Donruss card, but I grabbed two Carlton sheets. I guess I was in a hurry.


I did need the Rod Carew for my Donruss set and I get to add a few other Carew cards and apparently a couple of 1988 Topps Roger Clemens cards.


This page had a base 1984 Robin Yount and a Diamond Kings card from the same set. I already had the DK card, which was good because this particular card has a bunch of creases.


The Robin Yount page had one random Wade Boggs card, but here is a full page. This one had a 1984 Donruss card that I needed.


I grabbed this last page just because of the two American Flag cards. The page also includes 4 Gary Sheffield rookie cards and 3 second year cards.


Overall I think it's a nice selection of star cards at a great price. I won't be keeping any of these sheets. The cards will make there way into a box with the rest of the cards for these players. If I actively collect a player they go into a binder, but other Hall of Famer and star players go into boxes. How do you store cards of player that you don't actually collect, but are star players?

2 comments:

  1. If they're mid 80's or earlier... the star cards go into a binder. Anything afterwards... they go into a box.

    These 9 pocket pages are a great purchase. Wish I'd stumble across people selling these, I'd be all over them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to Fuji. There are favorites of mine who have a dedicated binder section, and second-tier favorites in team bags or small boxes. Any card of a HOF or near-HOF guy from 1986 or earlier also goes in a binder. After 1986, other than my "binder guys", star cards only go into a binder if it's a minor league card, a non-junk wax rookie, a parallel or SN card, or something of that nature. Otherwise they're in boxes with the plebes. (My junk wax superstars get their own box.)

    ReplyDelete