Tuesday, August 17, 2021

I must be living right!

A week ago I happened to be scrolling through Facebook right after someone posted about some free cards. I quickly messaged him and arranged to meet. He was about 25 minutes away and when I arrived I messaged him and he opened up his garage. I was blown away by the boxes, upon boxes that he had there.

This is the picture from his Facebook post, but there were actually more. 


We talked briefly and he had collected as a kid, but got back into cards in February. He said he bought a couple packs and pulled a 2020 Bowman Jason Dominguez parallel auto and sold it and was hooked. He pulls all the hits and big rookie cards and sells them on eBay. The rest go back into the boxes. He is moving and just wanted to get rid one them.

I wasn't the only person who responded, but I was the first person there. I offered him a dollar amount for the whole lot, but he said he had already promised some others, which I respected. He said to just pick what I wanted. I started setting aside boxes and asked him for a number. He said, "I don't know, around 20 or so." I got a bunch of Archives boxes because I had bought one box of 2020 Archives at Target in 2020, the only time I was ever able to find retail in the wild and I started to put together the set. I also grabbed a bunch of 2020 Heritage boxes because they feature the 1971 design and I just finished putting together the 1971 Topps set and I thought it would be cool to put together the Heritage version as well. Most of the ones I grabbed turned out to be the High Series. I got a couple other years of Heritage and 2019 Archives as well as a box of Bowman, Allen & Ginter and Stadium Club.

Here is a look at what I got that night.


He reached out to me last night and said some people hadn't showed up and asked if I wanted more. You bet!

Some more 2020 Topps Heritage High Number, 1 box of 2019 Heritage, a box of 2019 Update, and a bunch of 2020 Series 2 and Update. The bag had some random cards, probably from packs; mostly Bowman.


This stuff has been so fun to go through. Like I said, no hits or big rookies (well maybe one or two such through), but I love cards. They don't have to be big hits or rookie cards for me to enjoy them. I love putting together sets. There were also a ton of inserts in here as well. I can't afford boxes, but love opening boxes and packs, so for me, going through these boxes was just as good as opening the packs. Not to mention that I couldn't even find blasters of this stuff for the most part if I wanted to. Big thank you to this gentleman for providing me with hours of free entertainment and enjoyment.

I will be posting about some of the sets and cards from these boxes over the next week or so.

8 comments:

  1. Cool! Looking forward to seeing what you ended up with but that looks like a ton of fun no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an incredible find! Definitely looks like a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome find! I am like you in that it would be fun just to go through the boxes and see what is in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That certainly would be cool to go through, although I think I'm beyond the point of throwing a bunch of money at current cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick up! Looking forward to the goods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. This should provide hours of entertainment. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete