Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Not what I was looking for, but I'll take it!

After my initial purchase of the 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan card and the eight $10 sheets I made a couple of trips around the show floor and picked up a few additional cards, but I went back to the first dealer and looked through a few more boxes and grabbed this 1990 Leaf Sammy Sosa rookie card.

I've been looking for a nice copy of the 1990 Frank Thomas Leaf rookie card recently and looked a few copies that were in this dealer's box right next to the Sosa, but they were significantly off centered, so I passed on them. But this Sosa was nicely centered and so I added it to my collection for $4.

I've long been fascinated that on arguably his best rookie card, Sosa who would go on to be overwhelmingly associated with the long ball, is shown bunting.


But looking at the back of the card you can see that at this point he only had 4 career home runs under his belt, so maybe the shot of him bunting made sense.


Someday I'll get me a Leaf Frank Thomas rookie card, but for now I'm happy with this Sosa!

2 comments:

  1. Nice pickup for $4! Sammy was certainly a different player back then. I was a fan of his in the mid-late '90s, dating back when he was a 30/30 guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang. 90L Sosa rookie cards are only $4 these days? This set was limited compared to the other major baseball sets that year... and the dude clubbed more than 600 home runs. Seems like a very undervalued rookie card. Congratulations on the pickup and best of luck on your hunt for The Big Hurt. I'm still kicking myself for not adding a PSA 10 copy of that iconic rookie card to my Frank Thomas PC a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete