Tuesday, August 31, 2021

When only spending a dollar at the card shop is a good thing.

What's the least you can spend at a card shop or show? Personally I've gone to a shop before and not spent anything. It's disappointing, but I've done it. Multiple times. Sometimes nothing jumps out at me.

One of my boys joined a new club baseball team. This club has its own facility across town from us. Right now he is doing one workout a week on our side of town and then one at the team facility. The team facility happens to be less than 10 minutes away from my favorite card shop.

A couple weeks back his workout was at 5 o'clock on Friday. The card shop closes at 6 so I dropped my wife and son off and headed over to the card shop for a quick look around. 

I only spent a buck. Sometimes it's good to tell the wife that you went to the card shop and only spent a dollar. Am I right?

This was the big purchase of the day. This 1960 Topps Don Zimmer card cost me 50 cents. Zimmer had a decent playing career. Enough to stick around 10+ years in the big leagues. In fact, he was an All-Star in 1961. But I best remember Zimmer from his coaching days with the Yankees dynasty in the late 90's and early 2000's.


These Tiant cards were just a dime each. I know some of you might not consider these vintage, but to me they qualify and will end up in my vintage binder.


I've seen these puzzle cards before, but didn't remember having the Clemente, so I grabbed it for a dime. I've always wondered where these "cards" came from, but another recent purchase answered that question for me.


The last two cards I picked up were these 1994 Pinnacle Power Surge cards. I thought these were inserts, but turns out they are from a 25 card boxed set. They will still make it into a binder I have set up for 1990's inserts and parallels.

3 comments:

  1. You've got one of the greatest card shops around. If my LCS had deals like these, I'd probably go on a regular basis. I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't think 76T wasn't vintage. I have 79T and older in my vintage binders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luis Tiant vintage for 10 cents apiece? You are truly blessed, card shop wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel obligated to buy something when I go to my LCS, spending just a dollar is awfully good!

    ReplyDelete