Tuesday, April 12, 2022

1986 Sportflics Rookies set

One of the first things that caught my eye that the guy from OfferUp had available was this boxed set. It's a 1986 Sportflics Rookies set. Of course with these coming from someone on OfferUp who got them himself from a collection he bought at some point. So I didn't know if it was a complete set or not. It ended up being complete, sort of. 


Obviously with these being Sportflics cards, they aren't going to photograph well, but I want to try my best to document the set.


Lots of familiar names: John Kruk, Will Clark, and Wally Joyner are the biggest names on the first page.


Jose Canseco, Barry Bonds, and Ruben Sierra bring the star power to sheet number 2. While this is technically a unique Barry Bonds card in my collection, I am not counting it towards the 762. I am not counting any of his cards that are in any of the sets that I have because I want them all to be in one binder and not spread out in various other sets.



Not quite the same star power as 1 and 2, but page 3 has Danny Tartabull, Andres Galaraga and Bobby Bonilla.



The only Hall of Famer to have their own card in the set is Barry Larkin and he is the lone star of page 4.


But right next to Larkin is the 1986 N.L. Rookie of the Year; Todd Worrell, so back in 1986, this probably would have been a nice card.


Bo Jackson is the big name on page 5.



Since this is only a 50 card set, the 6th page is a partial page. I did include a Don Mattingly Fan Club "card" that was in the box. Not sure if it came in the box or not. It doesn't have any mention of Sportflics and is not really a card. More like a slip of paper.

There are 3 cards that are not dedicated to one player, but feature three different players and none are rookies. There is lots of star power among these players and a few that are Hall of Famers (Eddie Murray, Tom Seaver, and Willie Mays).  Kevin Mitchell is the biggest "rookie" out of this small group and is the last card in the set.



Here is an up close look at the Don Mattingly Fan Club "card". Can anyone confirm if this indeed did come with this set or if it just happened to make its way into this box?



As for the Trivia Cards, I am one card short. It was missing the last card, card #34. If anyone has an extra laying around, I'd love to trade for it.

I am happy to be able to add this set to my collection via trade and especially for some football and basketball cards that are not of interest to me. I have some Sportflics cards in my collection, but not much.

This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this trade. I've got a bunch of other great cards to show in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. Cool set! (Or most of a set, anyway) 80s Sportflics doesn't get enough love

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mattingly is from there!
    https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/109/cid/16107044/1986-Sportflics-Rookies-NNO-The-Official-Don-Mattingly-Fan-Club

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Love to idea, good luck!!!
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    បាការ៉ាត់

    ReplyDelete