Friday, April 8, 2022

I'm not a good blogger.

You ever think you are good, or at least fairly proficient at something and then something happens and you realize you actually aren't good at it at all. I came to that realization today. I'm not a good blogger.

For me, being a good blogger is more than just about the words that I type and how frequently I post. As John Newman of the Sport's Card Nation podcast always says, "The hobby is the people." I truly agree with John. This is where I realized that I failed recently.

Bo sent me an email back in February after seeing a post about my Mike Piazza collection. He asked me for a list. I read the email, but got busy and forgot. Bo is a great blogger. He still sent me some cards. A couple of Mike Piazza cards and a 1973 Topps Wes Parker card, which was on my Most Wanted List, even though I had already bought the card off eBay a couple of months before. Like I said, I'm not a good blogger.


Oh, and at this point I've had the cards Bo sent me for over a month. I failed to reach out to thank him personally when the cards arrived. Another reason I'm not a good blogger. I planned to post about the cards, but the cards got set aside and I didn't come across them again until today.

Publicly I want to thank Bo for his thoughtfulness in sending me a card that was on my Most Wanted List and a couple of great Mike Piazza cards. Thank you Bo!

The Upper Deck Piazza card is fantastic and I really dig the dual Topps All-Star card, but both are duplicates. I already mentioned that I had grabbed the 1973 Wes Parker card off eBay, so that is a dup as well. It was on my Most Wanted List because it was the last card of Wes Parker that I needed to complete his Topps playing career run. Check out his Topps cards starting with his 1964 Topps rookie card all the way through this 1973 card, which is the only card that actually features him in the field.



I've talked about Wes Parker on my blog before.  In addition to appearing in an episode of the tv show, The Brady Bunch, Parker was legendary at first base winning the Gold Glove each year from 1967 to 1972 and being named, in 2007, as the best defensive first baseman sine the inception of the Gold Glove award in 1957. In doing so, he was the only player to earn this honor that is not in the Hall of Fame. 

Alright, back to me not being a good blogger. How do I fix that? Well, Bo, you are going to get some cards as a thank you, so be on the lookout for something from Arizona soon. Also, with your permission Bo, I want to give away the cards you sent me since I already have them. The first person to comment with an interesting fact about Wes Parker that I didn't already mention, will get the 1973 Topps Wes Parker card. I'm going to send out Piazza cards to the first 5 people that comment that they would like some. 

7 comments:

  1. Wes Parker grew up in a very well-to-do family, but he was miserable, had issues especially with his mother. He didn't want to pursue any of the jobs available to him, and has said that baseball was his only shot at making it in life. He called Charlie Dressen, a friend of his father's, on a whim to ask to play for the Dodgers. Dressen found him a team and from there, a tremendous long-shot, who wasn't offered a contract with any team, he ended up with the Dodgers. He was not expected to make to the majors at all. But Parker, who was in therapy from a young age, was convinced it was his only way to live.

    I've been reading about the 1960s Dodgers, that's where I got that info. I'm sure I have all those Dodgers cards, too, but I'd be happy to take them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love of Wes Parker grew out of me reading the book, The Last Innocents, by Michael Leahy. Such an amazing story! If you want these cards, they are yours, but if you already have them I will send you some other cards. I recently came across about 200 Hideo Nomo cards, so I will take a look and see if there are any you don't already have.

      Delete
  2. Nice run of Wes Parker cards. I was too young to remember him as a baseball player, but I definitely remember him for being Greg Brady's math teacher's boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up watching Brady Bunch reruns, so that had to be my first exposure to Wes Parker as well.

      Delete
  3. No problem, we all get busy from time to time! Whenever you have your Piazza list ready, I'll be happy to see if I have anything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't sweat the "bad blogger" bit, life happens to everyone. I'm down for some Piazza cards if you have any extras lying around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! Will you send me your address please. daniel24303@gmail.com

      Delete