Saturday, April 16, 2022

OfferUp Trade: 3200 count box of Top Loaders

One of the 3200 count boxes I got via a recent OfferUp trade contained 95% top loaded cards. Most of the cards are from the junk wax era, but there were some gems in there. Let's take a look.


Lots of small groups of various players, mostly from the 90's, but a bunch of random cards as well. Here are the highlights.

Lots of rookie cards of some well known players, but not many of these are new to me.


My favorite rookie card and probably my favorite card from the entire box is this 1972 Topps Dave Kingman rookie card. This is one that I didn't already have.


This was another rookie that I didn't already have. It's a 2003 Donruss Classics rookie card of Shane Victorino.


It's numbered on the back out of 1500.


The 1972 Kingman wasn't the oldest card in the box. That honor belongs to this 1959 Topps Ernie Broglio card. This happens to be Ernie's rookie card. I wasn't familiar with Ernie, but a quick search shows that in 1960; just his second season, Ernie won 21 games for the St. Louis Cardinals. This was his career high. He would win 18 in 1963 which was the primary reason that the Cubs traded Lou Brock for him in 1964. Broglio only won 7 games for the Cubs between 1964 -1966 and then was out of the big leagues for good after that. Brock would spend the next 16 years in St. Louis getting 2700 hits and swiping nearly 900 bases for the Cardinals. Many think this was the most lopsided trades in the history of baseball.


These coins were in the box as well. I think the Aparicio is from 1971 and the Bunning is from 1964. I've seen lots of these before, but I don't think I already had any in my collection. 


I was happy to see this 1961 Golden Press Lefty Grove card as this is a set I'm familiar with and would love to complete at some point. Too bad this was the only one.


I had to do a little research to figure out this Willie McCovey card. I believe it's from the 1972 Milton Bradley game.



There was a nice little stack of Mike Piazza cards. I haven't gone through them yet, but I'm pretty sure I already have most of these.


There were bunch of inserts from the 90's and early 2000's. These are my favorites.


There were a few Topps Tea cards of Tony Gwynn from it's first iteration.


There two Dave Winfield cards got me thinking about doing a Topps Dave Winfield run. I already have his rookie card and most of his other cards, so it shouldn't take much to complete it.


There were a few of these EX 2000 cards. Such a cool set.


So there is a recap of this 3200 count box of top loaders. Nothing too crazy, but some nice cards that I will be able to add to my collection. 

6 comments:

  1. Hot damn that looks like fun! Lots of very cool cards, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul! The '78 Winfield is fantastic, and the Kingman RC is very cool. Love that lefty Grove too. I'm working on the Golden Press set but I'm missing most of the big-big names like Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This OfferUp trade keeps getting better for you. I would love to come across a 3200 count box to go through. Keep sharing your trade pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great variety. Was gonna say the Kingman rookie stole the show, but then you showed off those Gwynn Topps Tek cards. Those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, very nice cards, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice collection of rookies and inserts there...and you could always use toploaders!

    ReplyDelete