Thursday, April 21, 2022

Player Collection Boosts from the OfferUp Trade

I was able to pull out some cards of players that I collect from my recent OfferUp trade.

Let's start with Griffey. When we were working out the trade, he had a stack of Griffey cards that I felt would make it so the trade wouldn't work. I knew I already had some of them, so I took them off the table. In the boxes I did end up with there were more Griffey cards. 120 to be exact.

 
Out of the 120, I needed 22 of them, which is actually more than I expected. Here are the ones I needed. I already had the 1992 Fleer Pro Vision card, but it was with my Pro Vision sets, so this one will go in the Griffey binder.


Lots of unlicensed cards, but I'm okay with that. There are a couple of nice inserts as well. A few of the cards I am socked that I didn't already have, but I am glad to add them to my Griffey binders.


This card actually completed this Mothers Cookies set, so that was awesome!


My other main PC from the 90's and early 2000's was Mike Piazza. There were way less Piazza cards than Griffey. In fact, there were only 6 Piazza cards. I did need the 3 Mets cards though, so I am happy with 50%.


There was just one Dale Murphy card; at least in my first go through of the collection. In fact, I know there are some others in there. But I did need this one.


There was a nice pile of Don Mattingly cards and I needed a bunch of them, so that was awesome! I needed the entire top row and there were 3 from the bottom row that I needed. I did come to the realization that I need to, at some point in the near future, organize my Mattingly binder by year in order to make this process easier.


The majority of cards from the trade are from the 80's and 90's. Probably 5% pre-1980, 70% 80's and 90's and 25% 2000 to present. So I was really happy to find a few cards of modern players that I collect (or at least set aside when I get them).

There were only a couple of Goldschmidt cards. I already have the Diamondbacks ones. I don't actively seek out Goldschmidt in a Cardinals uniform, but I still set them aside when I come across them. I only needed the two Prizm cards.


I needed 3 of the 6 Bryce Harper cards.


I needed all of the Mike Trout cards, minus the dup in the picture.


Ohtani is another player that I just sort of set aside. I feel like pretty much everyone "collects" Trout and Ohtani, much like everyone "collected" Griffey and Piazza back in the 90's.

This card is great because it went in my Topps All Star Rookie Cup binder.


Here are a few other Ohtani. I guess I need to start a binder for him.


I'm sure there will be a few more of these players that I find as I continue to go through the boxes and binders in this OfferUp trade, but this is a good start for now and I not only blogged about them, but I got them put away as well, which is a huge step in the right direction for me organizing my collection.

5 comments:

  1. Love that Ultra Rawhide Griffey insert... and of course the Mother's Cookies card. Congratulations on completing the set. Although I'm not really a Trout collector, I'm like you. If I come across a Trout I don't have, I add it to this box (if it's a base card) or the Trout section in my inserts/parallels/oddballs binder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Rawhide insert set. So many great insert designs from the 90's.

      Delete
  2. That AL(TM) West Studs cards might be the worst card thing I've seen in awhile, from the horrible title, to the giant trademark logo, to the terrible photo of Ohtani's backside. Those '80s and '90s cards are so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty bad. No real connection there for it to be a combo card in the first place. You are right about the 80's and 90's cards being way better than the cards today.

      Delete