Thursday, April 14, 2022

Years in the making….

I’m not sure if they have one in every Red Robin restaurant, but I’m pretty sure in every Red Robin I’ve been to they have an American flag made of baseballs. That was my inspiration for this project. 



The difference between the ones in Red Robin and the one that I made is that every ball in mine is from an MLB game, Spring Training or an Arizona Rookie League game. My boys and I have been collecting these balls for years. We finally got enough this past year and so in February I began putting this together.

It took longer than I expected and wanted to put it all together,  but I finished it and got it hung up this past weekend. While there are many imperfections and lots of changes I would make if I did it again, I absolutely love the end result.

I didn’t pay for a single ball, but materials still ended up being around $150. I used a peg board, so the holes were already there for me. If I did it again I would just use a solid piece of wood. The bulk of the cost was spray paint. I think I used 5 cans of red, 3 blue and two black (my measurements were off just slightly, so I had to buy and paint tow different peg boards). There was also three boxes of screws, some a yard and a half of black felt, the French Cleat and a package of screws and anchors.

It super heavy and required at least two people to hang it. I estimate it at 100-120 pounds. I had four people helping when we put it up on the wall. I used a French Cleat rated at 300 pounds to get it on the wall. 

So glad to be done with this project and to be able to enjoy it.

19 comments:

  1. That is a sweet display especially when you just didn't buy it as ready made memorabilia, but actually worked on getting all the baseballs together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I love that it is all balls that we collected over the years.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow! I think I counted 240 baseballs. You've been to a lot of games! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 260 actually. 13 rows of 20. We have been to a lot of games over the years. Luckily living in Arizona helps as we have baseball year round. Spring training, MLB, AZ Rookie League, and the Arizona Fall League. Although I don't remember if we got any balls from the AFL.

      Delete
    2. My eyes fooled me! But I should have known better with the stripes. lol

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome! Congrats on successfully completing that project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels great to be done after having the initial idea, so many years ago.

      Delete
  4. Incredible! That's gotta be fun to show off to people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haven't had a ton of people over yet, but I am looking forward to it. And I got a nice response on Twitter and here as well, so that is fun.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It combines my love of America, Baseball, and Red Robin!

      Delete
  6. Great job! That looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome! Pretty sure the Red Robin near my work has one of these on their walls. I love that these were all ball you and your boys accumulated at games. That adds an extra level of coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Bonus points for it being a family project, making it more special...congrats sir!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me crave a tower of onion rings.

    ReplyDelete